Tuesday, March 10, 2015

"Vintage-Chic" banner


For my sister-in-law's baby shower, we went with a vintage chic theme. I have made several banners in the past, but I wanted one with a lot of dimension and texture. 

Supplies you will need:

  • twine (or any string to hang banner with)
  • scrapbook paper (I used pink and burlap paper. For 10 pennants, I used 5 sheets of each paper).
  • hot glue gun
  • spray adhesive
  • glitter
  • glue dots or double-sided tape
  • box blade
  • hole punch

First, I had 9 pennants that I purchased...but I needed 10. Rather than buying another entire pack, I traced the pennant onto a piece of cardboard/chipboard that I already had and cut out with a box blade. I punched holes by using the same template. 


I found the easiest way to get the scrapbook paper onto the pennant was by using glue dots on the pennant and sticking it to the scrapbook paper (two pennants per page). Then, I cut alongside the pennant (raw side up) with my box blade. No tracing or scissor cutting needed! Do the same to punch holes. 



To get the layered, textured effect I used burlap scrapbook paper. I cut them in strips of 1 1/2" then folded like an accordion. 


I needed two strips to make a complete circle. (To find out how big the circle, lay your die cut inside before you cut the strips). I hot glued the two strips together to form a circle. Be sure to glue the "pleats" so it looks seamless.

Now, flip the circle to make it lay flat and start hot gluing. I didn't glue around every pleat, but enough to make it stay.


Next, take your doily and hot glue on top of your pleated circle. Can I take a second and say how amazing hot glue is?! I mean, there is no downtime in my projects because it dries almost instantly, and I can keep working (otherwise I get A.D.D. and sidetracked waiting on glue to dry) :)


I don't have a picture to show glittering the letters, but I sprayed them with spray adhesive and glittered...pretty easy!! Make sure there are no "bald" spots. If there are, spray that area and glitter again.

**Be aware that the pack of letters listed in this post contain one of each letter...I needed two "t"s. I traced the "t" onto the same cardboard/chipboard that I made the extra pennant from and cut with scissors.**

Now take your glittered letter (after the glitter/adhesive have had time to dry) and hot glue to the doily.


Lastly, thread your twine or string through your letters and hang. VOILA!! Instant decor for your party or event.



No comments:

Post a Comment